Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Are we so predictable?

Time and again I have always had proof to the fact that people are unpredictable, the women folks in particular. Expectantly it was a shock to me when a friend of mine proved its not so and people are indeed predictable. He was able to predict exactly how a person would react in a given situation, down the words and actions!


Worst thing was he could predict how I would have reacted in return! Like anyone, I was tempted to doubt he knew before hand of both sides. But I know thats not possible and that made me squirm uneasily. He told me that 80% of people react the exact same way for a set of given situations!


The explanation he gave was really convincing. He said, If any of us happened to touch a hot plate unknowingly, we will immediately pull back our hand. If its a finger, we will wet it in our mouth, else run it in water. Its a natural reaction. Only a few of us will put some ice on it or apply some medicine on the burn as the FIRST action. Similarly any action related to "likes-dislikes", expectations, romance etc will evoke almost same responses across the genus.


The question thats been going through my brain is: Are we so predictable? Are we all programmed to react in the exact manner for similar situations?


What do you think?

No comments: